Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Howdy ya'll! My top 8 holiday helps.


Look at my poor wind-burned face!!! I have been a nurse almost 20 years, but in November and December I put on a brown uniform and am a driver helper with my husband for UPS. It's a kick in the pants to run your butt off delivering packages for Christmas. I have seen many and I mean many Sephora boxes passing through my hands. Don't forget to tell your UPS or Fed Ex delivery person thank you if you can, they bring each of us that are makeup junkies those wonderful boxes and packages :). But seriously, I cannot wait to put back on my scrubs and do the job I love.

This week has been fierce and I mean crazy fierce! I was thinking about so much and doing so much and not letting myself just be. When I forget that, my immune system and body and mind almost shut down in protest until I listen. The older I get, the more I listen. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years, I am able to take care of any kind of patient. I have been a mom for 26 years, 3 sons and feel pretty much nothing alarms me. However, listening to me and taking care of me is a far harder task. But let me tell you.......I now listen, I now slow my roll, I now do the very things I took for granted when I was in my 20's.

This time of the year it is easy to get overwhelmed, rushed and downright exhausted with work, family, shopping, decorating, dinners, parties etc ad nauseum. The older I get the more I understand the need to NOT be perfect, the need to slow down and enjoy the MOMENT (you can't get it back). Life is precious and I have personally thought back to even a few years ago and can't remember major moments of the month of December because I rushed through like a manic zombie(picture that)! I have decided to follow some basic facts and some funny ideas. Take a look!

1) Designate. Who says you have to do it all? This one is hard. It's gotta be done just so and just the way I want it and if someone else does it I might have to do it over or change it or.......yeah that. Let someone else help. Really. Is your desire for recognition, praise or acclaim so much that you forget the reason for the season? Yep pretty blunt there, but I read me in those sentences as well.

2) Rest. I know I know basic and most redundant. But hey! If you don't take the time to get some decent rest all the other things will be a blur and exhaustion will rule. Studies have even shown that a good 30 minute nap is refreshing for both mind and body. This weather is good for snuggling up and relaxing. Remember you will never look or feel very good if you can't get rest.

3) Make a list. I am soooooo that person lol! However, if you write things down, not only will it decrease the item or errand missing, it will keep it all in one place and make things easier to consolidate and what fun it is to see the list getting crossed off and shows just how much you got done!

4) Gratitude list. When the winter blues or even depression strikes in this time of year, write a list of all you are grateful for and no matter how small or large or silly, put it down. Great way to remind us of what we have, just not the "stuff". Really a great reminder of the here and now.

5) Play! Remember family game night? Remember playing with toys or video games or running through the snow with the dog? With all we seem to have to accomplish during this most hectic of seasons, it is so great to slow it wayyyy down and play. My brother and I used to go to the bowling alley for midnight bowling and bowl for 6 hours straight and laugh and talk and even though I was sore and tired it was awesome to laugh and goof off. Put a twist on a game in your own way and invite others to play with you!

6)Snack through the day. We run, we shop, we work. It's easy to not slow down and remember our fuel. Small steady snacks along with a couple of solid meals refresh and nourish us. Sugar spikes and spills destroy our adrenal and immune system. Carrying things with you as you go about your day will help to prevent that and keep you ready and fueled for all the things you would like to do.

7)Stop, be in the moment. Rushing tends to make everything a blur and memories are totally lost or opportunities are missed. That awesome lady at the makeup counter that let you swatch and hem and haw and decide? she may need a smile and thank you. Not all people are nice to those that work for the public. Did you see the ducks on the pond this morning? Catch the color of those gorgeous crunchy leaves that you walked through? Smile at the adorable little kids playing in the grass? Yep, we miss so much and it takes so little to make someone's day or pay attention to them. Then you can remember as well and it will bring you joy.

8) Faith. Regardless of your religious beliefs or not, hold on to your faith and let it keep you strong during this precious time of the year. Whatever you choose to do and how you do it, remember in the hustle and bustle of life, dropping into your church, parish, mosque or even at your home altar, God, Higher Power or whomever you know, is always there for you and your spiritual needs. This is important to me and reminds me that in the winter sometimes the "winter of the soul" needs to be fed for the new year and the new day.

I hope this finds each of you well and happy and starts some conversations or ideas. Blessings to each of you and happy holidays! Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment