Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Migraine Awareness Month



I have had migraines since I was 5 years old and "officially" diagnosed at 17. I have tried multiple preventive and abortive meds under the sun and alternative methods as well. I know every trigger and do my best to prevent myself from getting a migraine every day. There are more days a month I have a migraine than not and it can sometimes be difficult to even function for daily living. It steals time from your family and friends and jobs. It eats up holidays, dinners, nights out etc.

Many people have the misguided notion that people with migraines are "faking it" or drug seeking and that makes me mad and sad. It also is a disease you can't "see" unless someone is crying or throwing up. I wouldn't wish a migraine on my worst enemy. There are times when a migraine hits and I seriously don't think I can handle it, and yet somehow I do. I am sure that there are people in your life if not yourself that suffer from migraines. You know the helpless, hopeless feeling associated with this disease. I know many headache clinics and neurologists that are still researching migraine prevention and medications to help those of us who suffer.

If you know someone with migraines, treat them with kindness and sympathy as you would someone with cancer. No I am not comparing cancer to migraines but I am saying that they are diseases that affect many people. I am glad there is a migraine awareness month and hope against all hope there will be a cure in my lifetime. There are many excellent resources on the internet for more information.

Thank you for reading this post and allowing me to share a piece of my life with you. This post was not meant to elicit sympathy but to enlighten and educate about this serious and painful disease. If you have a story or thought to share, please do. Blessings, Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment